Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The prophet by Khalil Gibran

It is the first time I haven't rated I book I have read. Mainly, its because I felt that "The Prophet" by Khalil Gibran was a book with extremely deep and profound messages and unfortunately, I had been unable to understand all of them. But from what little bit I understood from the book, Khalil Gibran's words truly seemed to me great words of wisdom. It seemed that all that was mentioned in the book came from a deep and sincere study of human nature. 

The book contained guide lines and advises on various topics like children, work, talking, crime and punishment, beauty, friendship, death, Reason and passion, and many others. Each sentence of the book was very deep in its meaning and understanding. When I first picked this book for reading, I assumed I would finish it very soon as it was of only but 150 pages, but I soon realized that the book wasn't that easy to digest and it took me triple times more time to finish than I had anticipated. I had to stop and ponder after each and every sentence. Also, while sometimes reading this before going to bed, I would close my eyes to ponder over the sentences but then soon I would find myself as sleep. So, you can imagine how difficult it was for me to finish this book. Moreover, there were a lot of ideas I just wasn't able to understand. But the ones I was able to understand had so much power and wisdom in them, that I resolved to reread this book some time later in life when I believe I would be possessing that maturity of mind and ability of understanding required for the reading of this book. There are also a large number of quotes worth remembering. 

The language was too poetic and there was no plot. So, this book will be real turn off for those who do not like poetic language or books without plot. 

some of the quotes are: 

" You give little when you give of your possession. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give" 

"And what is fear of need but need itself? Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, the thirst that is unquenchable" 

"All you have shall some day be given; therefore give now, that the season of giving may be yours and not your inheritors" 

" You often say, "I would give, but only to the deserving." The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture." 

"When you work you are a flute through whose heart the whispering of the hours turn to music. Which of you would be a reed, dumb and silent, when all else sings together in unison"

No comments:

Post a Comment